Question about how Advance File Transfer (AFT) works

Everything about Control-M agents installation or setup.
Bidderman9
Nouveau
Nouveau

Question about how Advance File Transfer (AFT) works

Post by Bidderman9 » 28 Jul 2008 10:59

Our Control M server is running on a UNIX server. We have a Windows 2003 Control M client and we want to transfer files to an external FTP server. If I were to use AFT, would the transfer run on the Unix ControlM Server or would it run on the Windows Control M Client (or either)? If it were to run on the Windows Control M Client, do I need to install any additional software on the Windows ControlM Client, or does it run the standard ControlM Agent?

What are the requirements to run AFT? I have been hearing that a local FTP/SFTP server is required? Sorry, but I am new to the whole AFT module.

Thansk!

mauriziog
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by mauriziog » 29 Jul 2008 1:52

AFT is a Control Module for Advanced File Transfer, is istalled ON a control-M agent (windows, unix, linux,etc.); is installed after the agent installation, is a separate software.

The basic concept to FTP trasfer with controlm is that the AFT module is the FTP CLIENT in the ftp transfer. This means that for doing a transfer you need a FTP server to comunicate with.
The server can be, FTP, SSH, SFTP, etc.

So for example if you whant to transfer a file from a windows to a unix machine, if you have a SSH server on the unix machine: install agent+AFT on the windows machine (=client), set the account and transfer files in both directions (get and put) with the unix machine.

Is very powerfull, dinamic and flexible.
If you whant more informations I use it in many ways and in many jobs (about 3000-4000) in some environments, with and without file watch, etc.

Bidderman9
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Bidderman9 » 29 Jul 2008 2:24

Thank you for your prompt reply. Have you had much difficulty connecting to Enterprise class SFTP servers such as Tunbleweed, Sterling commerce, or IBM Enterprise servers (mainframe). Typically these require a few additional configuration parameters.

One last question. So your ControlM Server or ControlM agent do not require an FTP/SFTP server, only the server that you connect up to and transfer from, correct?

Thanks again for the input.

mauriziog
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by mauriziog » 29 Jul 2008 4:57

One last question. So your ControlM Server or ControlM agent do not require an FTP/SFTP server, only the server that you connect up to and transfer from, correct?
YES, correct.
Controlm use the standard FTP, this if more flexible than other commercial solutions because you can install the agent were you want without more licence feed.

Consider also that in this manner you can have more FTP external servers with different caratteristics: one FTP passive, another SSH with key authentication, another with ssl and so on.
And WITHOUT installing nothing on the remote/external server: you dont impose to others the product to use (and to buy...).

Lacoochee
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Lacoochee » 26 Aug 2008 1:57

When you did the command line test I am assuming that you did the test between the same two servers for which you are setting up the AFT pair.

Are you using any of the security settings?

Is the file taking that long to transfer according to the sysout or is that how long the job is running before it completes successfully?

Are you performing any additional FTP commands?

Also when you execute the transfer on the command line are you logging in as the same user as the owner of the AFT Control-M job?
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

mauriziog
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by mauriziog » 10 Sep 2008 1:57

My problem is that we have a client to tranfer about 160 Gb and 50 Gb every week and at this rate ( aprox. 234 Kb's ) it's bad.
I transfer files even more big with AFT very fast.
In my case is more fast with AFT when manually or via batch ....
;-))
So for me is a network problem from you and the server or a problem on the server: many connections and transfer on the target server, timeout setting in the connection, etc.

jay09
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by jay09 » 07 Sep 2009 8:55

mauriziog wrote: Consider also that in this manner you can have more FTP external servers with different caratteristics: one FTP passive, another SSH with key authentication, another with ssl and so on.
And WITHOUT installing nothing on the remote/external server: you dont impose to others the product to use (and to buy...).
I agree with this. I hope your problem has been solved.

Regards,
Jay
Pret travaux