agent installation 6.4 on windows having a 6.2 agent install

Everything about Control-M agents installation or setup.
philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

agent installation 6.4 on windows having a 6.2 agent install

Post by philmalmaison » 16 Dec 2010 4:23

Hi,
Does anyone experience this:
i have a windows computer on which a 6.2 controlm agent is intalled and run under it's services.
i want to install a new 6.4 controlm agent on the same windows computer, but i want to keep the 6.2 old version that is not connected to the same controlm server.
but the install processus force to upgrade the old version even if it's not the same controlm server.
Here is the answer from BMC Software, that is not reliable.
Hello Philippe.

I am sorry but it is not possible for 2 different versions of the Control-M/Agent to co-exist on the same Windows PC.

The reason for this limitation is that both Control-M/Agents would share the PATH environment variable like all other applications. Therefore, when you run a Control-M/Agent utility (without specifying the full path) the OS locates the utility executable using the PATH variable. This means that it will always invoke the binary belonging to the first Control-M/Agent in the path and if it's not the correct version, the utility will fail to load the agent dlls.

To prevent this situation, the upgrade option is forced when an older version of the Control-M/Agent is discovered during installation.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you require anything further or if this issue may now be closed.

Regards,

Neil McConnell

BMC Software
so it doesn't help me in any way ...

Regards,
Philmalmaison

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 17 Dec 2010 7:47

Hi,

I've encountered same situation in the past (but with agent 2.2.4, 6.1,6.3)

Try:

1) uninstall v6.2
2) Install v6.4
3) re-install v6.2
Best regards
Walty

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 17 Dec 2010 9:37

Hi Walty
ok so i prefer to upgrade the 6.2 version to 6.4 first, and install a new 6.4 after.
Regards,
Philmalmaison

Moti_reshef
Nouveau
Nouveau

Re: agent installation 6.4 on windows having a 6.2 agent ins

Post by Moti_reshef » 03 Jan 2011 8:13

philmalmaison wrote:Hi,
Does anyone experience this:
i have a windows computer on which a 6.2 controlm agent is intalled and run under it's services.
i want to install a new 6.4 controlm agent on the same windows computer, but i want to keep the 6.2 old version that is not connected to the same controlm server.
but the install processus force to upgrade the old version even if it's not the same controlm server.
Here is the answer from BMC Software, that is not reliable.
Hello Philippe.

I am sorry but it is not possible for 2 different versions of the Control-M/Agent to co-exist on the same Windows PC.

The reason for this limitation is that both Control-M/Agents would share the PATH environment variable like all other applications. Therefore, when you run a Control-M/Agent utility (without specifying the full path) the OS locates the utility executable using the PATH variable. This means that it will always invoke the binary belonging to the first Control-M/Agent in the path and if it's not the correct version, the utility will fail to load the agent dlls.

To prevent this situation, the upgrade option is forced when an older version of the Control-M/Agent is discovered during installation.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you require anything further or if this issue may now be closed.

Regards,

Neil McConnell

BMC Software
so it doesn't help me in any way ...

Regards,
Philmalmaison
Hey Philmalmaison!

there is a good reason why Neil replied you that agent 620 cannot resides with 640 on the same machine!

the reason is that whenever you installed an agent, it will automatically add the location of the exe directory to your %PATH%.
so when you will try to invoke a job using server utilities (ctmorder,ctmpsm,ctmcreate...etc) , it will take them from the first %PATH%/exe location, and of course - it will not work!
in addition, other agent utilities (e.g.: ctmagcfg,ctmag,ctmwincfg) will fail to execute because of the same reason.....