Jobs directed to Windows Cluster running on passive server

Everything about Control-M agents installation or setup.
irateb
Nouveau
Nouveau

Jobs directed to Windows Cluster running on passive server

Post by irateb » 31 Mar 2010 6:09

Hello,

We have Control-M Agent 6.3.01.300 installed on two Windows 2008 servers which are clustered in an active/passive fashion. The jobs are pointed to the VIP name. We noticed that jobs would run and turn green, but were not appearing to execute. Upon further investigation, the jobs were running, but on the server that was marked as passive. The Agent Host Name is the server name for each agent, and the Logical Agent name is the VIP name, which is the same on both. The jobs use the VIP name as the node to run on. What I want to know is, is there anything in the Agent (or the Control-M Server) that retains where to run the job? I'm at a loss as to why the job would run on the passive server if the VIP is set to point to the active server. Thanks for any insight.

gglau
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by gglau » 31 Mar 2010 6:54

The Agent Host Name is the server name for each agent, and the Logical Agent name is the VIP name, which is the same on both.
That means you have two agents sharing the same logical name!! Control-M/Server will be confused with this configuration.

For an agent that should run on the cluster active node, the agent should be installed for the cluster. This is the first question from the installation wizard.

hipikll

Post by hipikll » 31 Mar 2010 9:19

I installed agent on windows servers many times, so i do not understand, what can be your problem.
Do you have Cluster Resources defined when defining Cluster?
In these resources should be also the Agent Services.
So, be sure, that your agent is started only when resources are on desired Virtual Node (where the VIP is).

If you have such configuration, there is no way to start agent on other node, than on active.
But, you have to remember, that when you switch to other node - the job status desapears (if you have not filesystem migrated over cluster nodes).
So, when you switch to this node again, it can return the status of previously executed jobs.

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 15 Apr 2010 10:52

the question is , the agent FS isn't in the cluster scope, (i assume you install an agent on both system, on the same VIP).
if it's not, use only physical address for the agents,add the primary server physical address on primary agent and authorize the second (failover phsycal address)
do the same on failover add physical failover controlm server address as the primary, and authorize the second server (primary physical address)
it should work fine.

regards
philmalmaison