Recycling C-M Server results in disconnected agents... why?

Everything about Control-M Server installation or setup.
processing

Recycling C-M Server results in disconnected agents... why?

Post by processing » 19 Jan 2012 1:16

Hi everyone,

I recently added some new parameters to the config.dat file on several servers (using 6.4.01).

After recycling one of the servers, two of its agents went down, and I was not able to make them available from the ctm_menu. The only way to bring them back up was to shut down the CM Agent processes and restart them from the command line. Both agents had a control module for SAP installed. All other agents on the server, which did not have a module, were unaffected and stayed up.

Has anyone encountered similar issues? Or does anyone know why this is happening? Whether it's possible to prevent it? I still have some servers to recycle, but now that I've encountered this unexpected system behaviour, I'm reluctant to go through with the change. I'd like to prevent the agent downtimes, if possible.

Thanks for any help.

gglau
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by gglau » 19 Jan 2012 7:29

Are they Windows agents using persistent connection? If I remember correctly, this combination has a known issue not able to reconnect after CTM server restart. I don't know if any FP has addressed this.

processing

Post by processing » 20 Jan 2012 12:08

Hi gglau,

Windows agents, no. Persistent connection, yes.

Only the two problematic agents have a persistent connection set up, though. Is there a known issue with persistent connections in general?

Thanks for your input.