Hot backup option or tool for Control-M Server 6.4 Database

Everything about Control-M Server installation or setup.
rich_arredondo
Nouveau
Nouveau

Hot backup option or tool for Control-M Server 6.4 Database

Post by rich_arredondo » 10 Nov 2011 8:47

I already know that this does not exist, but, any of you, geniuses and experts, have found a way to perform a Hot Backup of the Control-M Server Database in 6.4.0.1 version, without stopping the Control-M Server services?

I hope version 7.0 takes into account this hot "hot backup" topic.

Kind Regards.

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 16 Nov 2011 4:50

Hi,
rman backup could do it easliely, using the nocatalog option if you don't want to install external rman catalog for this database.
just put the archive log mode to yes (and give destination file) to control-m server.
It will allow you to make hot backup and to restore until time.

Regards,
Philmalmaison

rich_arredondo
Nouveau
Nouveau

Using SQL 2005 Database

Post by rich_arredondo » 16 Nov 2011 5:00

The problem here is that I'm using a MS SQL 2005 Database, and as far as I know, RMAN applies only for Oracle Databases.

Any other option?

brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

HOT BACKUP

Post by brownbag » 24 Nov 2011 4:29

The issue is that you are using your own existing database, i.e., it is not dedicated to Control-M. And database archive mode is only available for a dedicated Control-M database. And archive mode is necessary for a hot backup. Therefore, you can only perform a cold backup on an MSSQL Control-M database.
Control-M doesn't allow you to perform a cold backup while the software is running as changes may be made during the archive and it is not possible to then restore the point in time of the backup. In previous versions this was allowed but that was a loophole that was closed in 6.4.01.
It is best to perform the backups using processes within MSSQL. I don't know much about MSSQL backups but if you can trigger them from a command line, then Control-M can run them for you.