ConfCal, this unknown!

All questions about Control-M jobs definitions
bagbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

ConfCal, this unknown!

Post by bagbag » 15 Nov 2010 3:59

Hi all, I'm new in CTM and I'm "translating" a full schedule procedure from OPC/TWS to CTM.
A Scheduling Group contains 2 jobs: A and B. A runs at 8 am, B runs at 4 pm of every day but Sunday (or in week holidays). The regular calendar is defined as work days from Mon to Sat, Sunday is non working day.
The ND is at 11 am.
So every day, at 11 am, the SGroup is put in E/M, at 4 pm job B runs. The next day, at 8 am, job A runs. That's OK.
It happens that on Sunday at 8 am the job B runs, instead of on Monday at 8 am. I have tried with ConfCal but it does'nt work. Though I read about ConfCal, may be I have not understood the true meaning of it.
Any suggestion?
Thank you, ciao ciao

catchtony
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by catchtony » 15 Nov 2010 4:26

As far as I understood, you have put the same scheduling of Mon to Sat in job A and job B whereas your timings do matter here as your NDP starts at 11 am everyday. So in your case if any of your job has to run at 8 AM, then in Control-M we call it AM job, for that you have to schedule your job to run Sunday to Friday instead of Monday to Saturday if you want your job to run at 8 am Mon to Sat.

rahulsehgal
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by rahulsehgal » 16 Nov 2010 11:54

yes catchtony is absolutely right, you need to set two different Scheduling for both the jobs, job which is executing at 08:00 AM should have Scheduling from SUN-FRI and the job which is executing at 1600 should have scheduling from MON-SAT, thanks.

Regards,
Rahul Sehgal

bagbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by bagbag » 16 Nov 2010 5:16

Thank you for your replies. What you suggest is logical and may be I'll adopt this way.
Therefore I still don't understand the meaning of ConfCal. We can manage the workdays and holidays without the use of ConfCal, isn't it? I have created several tags to schedule the last working day or the 1st wd of the month, the first 10 wdays of the month. All without ConfCal!!!

ConfCal is checked at the moment of ND or at the moment of the submission?

Ciao ciao. grazie

rahulsehgal
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by rahulsehgal » 16 Nov 2010 5:41

Hi bagbag,

CONFCAL is used to schedule the job on next buisiness day, if current execution day for the job is holiday, in your scenario its just simple MON-SAT Schedule so no need to use CONFCAL,

If you have some scenario like the job should should execute on every wednesday, if wednesday is holiday then it should execute the next business day as per Mon-Fri Calander. so here we will provide calendar name that we want to follow in CONFCAL Parameter and use the SHIFT Parameter to shift it to next day. so if there is holiday on any Wednesday job will be coming on thursday or next business day as per the calendar defined in CONFCAL,

You can use the FORCAST option to check if the job is properly schedule or not.

ConfCal is checked at the same moment when you schedule the job, as you can also check the same using FORCAST option.

Regards,
Rahul Sehgal

bagbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by bagbag » 17 Nov 2010 12:50

Hi Rahul and thank you.
I have created a regular calendar MON-SAT where I have specified all the holidays in the year.
I define a job scheduled every WED and filling ">3" into the Week Days Rules I obtain that if a WED is on holiday, the job is scheduled on next day, and if the next day is holiday too, the job is scheduled the next day and so on.
Forecast confirms this. All this, works without using ConfCal.
This is why I don't understand the usage of ConfCal. More, I could understand that if a job scheduled for WED and, for whatever reason (typical is a "in condition"), the submission time is delayed after the midnight, then and only in this case, ConfCal is checked and based on this the execution is depending on SHIFT parameter.
Thank you very much.

Kelly
Nouveau
Nouveau

Confcal

Post by Kelly » 17 Nov 2010 7:36

Hello Bagbag,

CONFCAL is a parameter which can be used to schedule or manage AM jobs. As per Control-M any job which has a start time after midnight i.e. "00:00" till the NEWDAY time of Control-M i.e "11:00" (in your case) is known as an AM job.
We can use MON-SAT calendar in CONFCAL and "-1" in Shift parameter to make the job schedule Sunday to Friday.

CONFCAL can also be used to handle run of jobs n(Number) business days next or prior to a particular date of the month considering the calendar you mention in the CONFCAL field.
Suppose you have to schedule a job to run 5th business day prior to 20th of the month.

The scheduling would be

1) 20 in "Days field"
2) MON-FRI (Calendar according to which the business days need to be calculated) in CONFCAL field
3) ">-5" in "SHIFT parameter" (or "<+5" for 5th businessday after 20th)

:)

Kelly
Nouveau
Nouveau

Confcal

Post by Kelly » 17 Nov 2010 7:49

Remember ">" sign is used in prior cases and "<" sign is used in next cases.
CONFCAL is checked by Control-M during the table load as CONFCAL affects the building criteria of jobs.

Enjoy Scheduling :)

bagbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by bagbag » 18 Nov 2010 9:39

Hi Kelly,
I have create a trial schedule to simulate some particular cases. In a few days I'll tell you the results.
Thank you very much.

bagbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by bagbag » 16 Dec 2010 2:54

Hi all, now everything is running and I can easily schedule the AM job on the next day if the day is holyday.
Thanks to all who helped me.
Grazie, ciao