Forcing Jobs OK

All questions about Control-M jobs definitions
dbeardking
Nouveau
Nouveau

Forcing Jobs OK

Post by dbeardking » 25 Jul 2009 9:54

Sometimes when I force-ok a series of jobs, the dependent starts executing once the prev. job is forced ok. I need to kill it then and then force it ok. To avoid this, what I do is force ok from the reverse (instead of forcing jobs A->B->C, I force them ok as C->B->A).

If I Force-ok A->B->C,B will begin execution once A is forced ok. Then B has to be killed. Will this (execution for a short period) have any effect on the databases that this job uses or will it in anyway cause a mess with whatever data the job uses ?

brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

Forcing Jobs OK

Post by brownbag » 27 Jul 2009 8:41

I don't think anybody can really comment on the impact of executing jobs for a short period. It really depends on the application and/or job being run by the Control-M job.
It is safer to force-OK from the bottom and avoid this issue altogether.

ejtoedtli
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ejtoedtli » 28 Jul 2009 11:48

If jobs B and C are not creating conditions needed by other jobs then there is another option. Hold and delete them from Control-M EM. We do this frequently. We may do it with as many as 20 - 30 jobs.

I never thought about forcing them all complete (starting at the bottom). This is an interesting idea I will keep in mind for the future.

Banshee06
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Banshee06 » 29 Jul 2009 7:50

What I usually do is put the other jobs on hold and then you can Force Job A Ok and hen release the next job B if you want it to run and then release C next.