Any Open Source Alternatives?

damonedwards
Nouveau
Nouveau

Any Open Source Alternatives?

Post by damonedwards » 23 Oct 2009 8:49

Does anyone know of any open source tools that are viable enterprise alternatives to Control-M?

adriaya
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by adriaya » 10 Nov 2009 11:05

Can anyone tell me what open source is. What it's used for. Anything as long as it's about open source. Who ever gives me a good answer i'll make it the best answer.
Last edited by adriaya on 15 Nov 2009 8:22, edited 1 time in total.

jonni
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by jonni » 14 Nov 2009 11:23

Hi,

Open Source Software is most importantly for some, free software. Its any software package which can be changed by any user for their own purposes and which is generally added to collaboratively with other developers. For the most part there are no support options bar your fellow devotees who write addons/upgrades and can be contacted through forums etc.

Theres a lot more to it than above but this is as succint as I can put it.

Linux and Apache are 2 good examples of open source.

PBS is an open source batch scheduler working off clustered unix
Theres also a professional version which is sold commercially

Another is funnily enough called open source job scheduler which
works with free db's and is written in java -http://jobscheduler.sourceforge.net/

I havent used any of the open source so far as we run agents on VMS and there doesnt seem to be much out there from an Opensource perspective to support this (I might be wrong).

gabossy
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by gabossy » 10 Aug 2010 12:40

Why does the open source model not work for Microsoft? What is Microsoft's business model? Is there an advantage of the open source model in terms of software quality? Do you see that in real life in terms of the open source software that you use?

Anna2010
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Anna2010 » 26 Oct 2010 8:12

Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and good luck!

advertising

Banshee06
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Banshee06 » 27 Oct 2010 7:48

Microsoft is in the buisness of making money.
So all of their code is closed meaning no one can make changes to it.
So if you want Microsoft or anything intergrated with it Internet Explorer, Outlook, etc. You have to buy it from them and it is supported by them.
Open Source is software that can be changed, enhanced by users, But also is somewhat more vunerable to hackers in some instances but also is a lot faster at enhancements and changes.

Sandcastle
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Sandcastle » 01 Jul 2011 4:16

Banshee06 wrote:Microsoft is in the business of making money.
So all of their code is closed meaning no one can make changes to it.
So if you want Microsoft or anything integrated with it Internet Explorer, Outlook, etc. You have to buy it from them and it is supported by them.
Open Source is software that can be changed, enhanced by users, But also is somewhat more vulnerable to hackers in some instances but also is a lot faster at enhancements and changes.
Banshee06, You're correct no one can make changes to closed coding because companies are in for it for the money. Conversely, Open source coding is for anyone that wants to change the code to augment it, play around with it or unfortunately, hack it.

arjunpktr
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by arjunpktr » 29 Jul 2011 8:59

Open source doesn't just mean access to the source code. The distribution terms of open-source software must comply with the following criteria:
1. Free Redistribution

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

Rationale: By constraining the license to require free redistribution, we eliminate the temptation to throw away many long-term gains in order to make a few short-term sales dollars. If we didn't do this, there would be lots of pressure for cooperators to defect.
2. Source Code

The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form. Where some form of a product is not distributed with source code, there must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source code for no more than a reasonable reproduction cost preferably, downloading via the Internet without charge. The source code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would modify the program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not allowed. Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or translator are not allowed.

Engleford
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Engleford » 16 Aug 2011 12:26

Well, I am wondering that either the software with open source development are reliable?
I can't believe if I do a fair comparison with the other software!
What do you say?

hajon
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by hajon » 17 Aug 2011 2:03

Open source development is quite reliable but as a free service, people are not necessary responding as you would like that's why some support (with charge) are open to companies which need reliability.
For my point of view, if you want to use Opensource:
- first check the functionnality you needed in the application
- second, is it vital or not, if yes check if there is some support or having a team that can do support
- Cost (with customisation, support, etc...)

mmukti
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by mmukti » 12 Jul 2012 1:03

Engleford wrote:Well, I am wondering that either the software with open source development are reliable?
I can't believe if I do a fair comparison with the other software!
What do you say?
You should go with Linux ... which is an open source and due to its reliability most of the IT companies use this software .....

britnilinda
Nouveau
Nouveau

Microsoft Project

Post by britnilinda » 16 Aug 2013 12:38

Microsoft Project is a project management software program, developed and sold by Microsoft, which is designed to assist a project manager in developing a plan, assigning resources to tasks, tracking progress, managing the budget, and analyzing workloads. thanks Open text partner

Dolcedolce
Nouveau
Nouveau
Location: NUS Enterprise Incubator, 5 Prince George’s Park, Singapore 118404 ‎

open source tools

Post by Dolcedolce » 01 Oct 2013 8:27

You can go with Linux.It is a very good open source tools and due to its security functions you can choose it.

Bridal Wedding Gowns

Heranezera
Nouveau
Nouveau
Location: 14A / Persiaran ara kiri bangsar lucky garden 59100 kuala lumpur

Open Source Tool

Post by Heranezera » 07 Oct 2013 10:09

Linux is a very good open source tool.BSD unix is also a good open source tool.

Evening dresses Malaysia

rydersgolf
Nouveau
Nouveau

Open Source Operating System

Post by rydersgolf » 15 Oct 2013 9:08

Hi All. :D :D
UNIX operating system is best open source operating system.

Best Golf Tips Singapore