Managing multiple jobs and reporting on status.

Tools and several solutions to manage Control-M products
flytripper
Nouveau
Nouveau

Managing multiple jobs and reporting on status.

Post by flytripper » 09 Sep 2006 5:06

I am looking for some advice...

I am currently managing 100+ File transfer jobs with various applications. I am trying to migrate these jobs to Control M w/AFT module. Currently my jobs need to perform the following tasks

1 monitor directory for existance of file
2 FTP that file to destination
3 report via email that job was successfull. also need time stamp, file name and size in email report.
4 rename original file to avoid duplicate sending
5 log the file name, date, size and ftp destination to a simple log file for auditing purposes.

Any advice would be helpful... currently I have a method set up to ftp and rename the file. Specifically I am looking to create a job the is cyclic to monitor the directory for a file; when it finds a match I want it to send an OK to the next job who will run the ftp job. I am currently using the ftp for this but it is causing a lot of unneccesary logins into the ftp. After the ftp finishes I need to know how to export the parameters mentioned above to a log and to email.

Thanks.
Joe

fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 09 Sep 2006 12:02

Hi,

There are some ideas to do that work. This is only one, using ctmcreate utility existing with each Control-M agent.

1 - Create an ftp job template with all parameters you will need.
Create in that template an AUTOEDIT variables list that will contain your different information like:
%%FTPFILE file name
%%FTPDATE date
%%FTPSIZE size
%%......
The same job could use AUDOEDIT variables in DO SHOUT or DO MAIL commands.
2 - Create a small script. Its rule will be to launch ctmcreate command with all parameters need for your template, including file information.
3 - After you Cyclic job, send a condition like "OK" to another job "B". That job will execute your previous script created in 2 with all parameters needs.

That solution gave you some help to not add some job definition in your Control-M database.

And more, I am quite sure that the process writing your file at the beginning could execute a small command or a small script when your file is totally wrote. In that case you could send directly, using ctmcontb utility, the condition "OK", in the same time decrease number of jobs and number of cyclic jobs using a lot of database to run.

flytripper
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by flytripper » 10 Sep 2006 3:24

Thanks for your response...

I am a little confused as to how the AUTOEDIT vars that you mentioned will be able to parse the file for that information. If they were static names/dates and sizes I would understand but all that info needs to be parsed live from the file. I was unable to find a var that is already named %%FILESIZE etc... and I am unsure how to create one that parses for that info.

Ok lets start with the first requirement that I have...

How can I create a job,(maybe even a dummy job) that looks at a local directory and when it finds the file finishes OK? I dont need this job to send it or modify it, just to say YES it is there. I could then put an out condition on this to trigger the ftp job to start.

I want to use control M layouts as much as possible and avoid being dependant on scripts but some of what I am trying to do may need a script written.

fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 10 Sep 2006 11:05

Hi,

I didn't say you could find %%FILESIZE, but you can create it. AUTOEDIT vars can't pars anything, but you can add external information using %%LIBMEMSYM function and to create your own AUTOEDIT variables.

So in your case, if you want just to wait information concerning file arrival, you can create a job (not dummy) using ctmfw utility.

Ctmfw is a filewatcher utility permitting to see an file arrival or modification during a small period.It exist with all control-m agent.

flytripper
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by flytripper » 11 Sep 2006 4:55

I don't want to run the risk of asking to be spoon fed - but how in the heck do I use the ctmfw utility with a job? Or better yet, can you recommend reference material that I can read and teach myself? I have read through all of the BMC provided manuals on their site and how found that info lacking.

Thanks,
Joe

fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 11 Sep 2006 5:20

Hi,

You will find all Control-M documentation in the Download part on this site.
You could find ctmfw description.

There is an example for the Control-M agent version 6.1.03.

flytripper
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by flytripper » 16 Sep 2006 2:42

This worked out great...thanks.