Synchronize global variables between z/OS and open systems

Tools and several solutions to manage Control-M products
vpaldi

Synchronize global variables between z/OS and open systems

Post by vpaldi » 08 Jun 2010 1:18

Hi there,

does anybody have any experience how to synchronize global variables between z/OS and Unix? Of course, the naming conventions differ, but sometimes there is a need to interchange values if you control a multi-platform environment. I do have some ideas, but they require scripting on both side and raise security issues. So if somebody have working solution it would help a lot.

Many thanks in advance,
Vince

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 08 Jun 2010 4:36

Vince,

I agree with you, in all cases it's necessary to deploy scripting home made (based on usage of LIBEMSYM, FTP, Filewatcher, ctmcontb,JCL, Rexx...)
In the past we have implemented a similar issue with the Mainframe (V5.14) and the DS (Control-M 2.2.5 & ECS 2.2.5)
In all cases i think it's expensive to implement.

Perhaps in future version(s) this wish and another like 'Global Ressource' will be available ?

Question: Your both Control-M (z-OS and Unix) are connected to the same Control-M/EM ?

PS: One similar approach has been discussed in this post
Best regards
Walty

vpaldi

Post by vpaldi » 08 Jun 2010 5:22

Hi Walty, how are you doing?

Yes, z/OS and the Unix/Linux machines are connected to the same EM.

On the post you pointed to the conditions were discussed, here the %%\ variables. And if you see who has opened that topic you will laugh :P

Best regards,
Vince

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 08 Jun 2010 10:12

Vince,

I am referring to this post not directly for its contents (Global Condition) but on its approach. Finally the need is quite similar.
Unfortunately such opportunities are currently missing in the product.
Let us know your approach on the subject.
You're right, I laugh :lol:
Best regards
Walty

ctmuser
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ctmuser » 11 Jun 2010 2:02

Hi,

The setup for this kind of functionality would be simplified if you were to consider using a ssh client to invoke a script calling the appropriate utilities on your CTM/EM host from the z/OS data centres and vice versa.

See:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/ ... tools.html

and/or

http://www.dovetail.com/products/coz.html

I've played around with it to get a MF job forced OK from a script invoked on the CTM/EM host.

Paul

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 11 Jun 2010 7:58

Thanks Paul for this info.
Best regards
Walty

vpaldi

Post by vpaldi » 15 Jun 2010 10:46

Hi, finally we have worked out a solution. The key elements are:

- a table in z/OS with two jobs, JSEND and JREC
- JSEND is scheduled on synch point 1, when the vars are to be sent to Unix
- JSEND has two steps: the first reads the global vars, the second written in REXX opens an SSH to Unixt and sets the vars over there (don't forget that the var names need conversion!)
- now the Unix jobstream starts due to in-condition JSEND_OK
- the last step of the Unix stream is synch point 2
- this job is a Pearl script named JBUILD which reads the vars on Unix and actually writes the JREC job into a PDS
- JREC has two in-conditions: JSEND_OK and JBUILD_OK
- Control-M reads JREC at this point and sets the vars on z/OS

Much complicated but works. The disadvantage is that either z/OS or Unix jobs may run between synch points. This limitation is of course for jobs using globals, all other stuff may run parallel.

Best regards,
Vince

mauriziog
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by mauriziog » 05 Aug 2010 5:04

I use the LIBMEMSYM for setting variables from MVS to OPEN,
ancd viceversa a similar method based on a library files with variables definition on it.

So the job that pass the variable is a FTP job.

In this manner i use global variables but also local variables or group variables. So is less the number of global variables, and I can use the same name many times with different values in different files...

Examples:
Date calculation, file names with TimeStamp, parameters of execution that must be passed to unix or to MVS; user parameters passed from open (web pages) to MVS executions ...

Have a good day