Error starting Reporting Facility in 6.2.01.400

Everything about Control-M Enterprise Manager Server installation or setup.
mulvida
Nouveau
Nouveau

Error starting Reporting Facility in 6.2.01.400

Post by mulvida » 09 Oct 2007 5:39

Hi folks.

I am trying to start the reporting facility to generate a very simple report, and when I try to start it I get

The application failed to get the databae parameters from the MCS.Ini file
Check the logs for more information.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

sunform2

Post by sunform2 » 09 Oct 2007 6:06

Read the SLN000000166039 in the Knowledge Database of BMC Software.

mulvida
Nouveau
Nouveau

Thanks, but

Post by mulvida » 15 Oct 2007 5:59

Thanks, but I dont have access to the knowlege base at the moment, due to the way we are supported via an outsouce situation.

Any chance I could get a copy of that article emailed to me?

sunform2

Post by sunform2 » 16 Oct 2007 10:28

For Control-M/Enterprise Manager version 6.2.01:
=======================================
In version 6.2.01 the Reporting Facility first connects to a GUI Server and verifies authority prior to making a direct database connection.

Phase I: Getting Setup (One Time Steps) For instructions on how to use, see Phase II below.

Step 1: Modify the database connection properties for the database client (Perform this step once on each machine where you want to connect to both production and development databases).

1a: For Oracle:
Modify the tnsnames.ora file so that there is an additional entry for the other database you want to connect to. Contact your local System or Control-M Administrator for assistance in performing this function if you are unsure how or if you are uncomfortable with the steps required to complete this task.

1b: For Sybase:
Configure 2 OLEDB connections by running <EM>\SybClient\OLEDB\sydaadm.exe. There will need to be 2 data sources configured with the names of your databases, for example, DEV and PROD. each one connecting to the appropriate hostname, port and DB name (i.e., em620). Contact your local System or Control-M Administrator for assistance in performing this function if you are unsure how or if you are uncomfortable with the steps required to complete this task.

1c: For MS-SQL:
Modify the data source definition (ODBC) so that there is an additional entry for the other database you are connecting to. Contact your local System or Control-M Administrator for assistance in performing this function if you are unsure how or if you are uncomfortable with the steps required to complete this task.

Step 2: Adjust the database connection properties for Enterprise Manager.

The database connection properties are taken from the <EM>\ini\mcs.ini file on the CONTROL-M/Enterprise Manager client PC. To switch between databases there must be more than one mcs.ini file, each having a unique definition for whichever environment to which you would like to connect.

Contact your local System or Control-M Administrator for assistance in performing this function if you are unsure how or if you are uncomfortable with the steps required to complete this task.

2a: Copy the existing mcs.ini to another name, for example, DEVmcs.ini.
2b: Copy the existing mcs.ini to another name, for example, PRODmcs.ini.
2c: Open the DEVmcs.ini file in notepad and look for the line called COMM. It should look similar to the following: COMM,msq60-m.dll,PROD,emprod,96b604b0386270bd976cd91c91536103ff050d0c2703a68a,em620,,;
2d: The format for the line is: <module>,<dll>, <data>, <db>, <encrypted>, <db>,,;
2e: Look for the third item, data source name, and replace the value there with the name of the database (instance) you want to connect to, for example, DEV.
2f: Look for the fourth item, dB user, and replace the value there with the name of the user you use to connect to the data source name you changed in step 2e above. Using the example above, changing emprod to emdev would be the correct change to make if the database user for the Development database was emdev. If you use the same user for both databases, for example, emuser, there is no reason to modify this item. Only the superuser can be entered here. Regular users are not allowed and will not work.
2g: Finally, look for the sixth item, db name, and replace the value there with the name of the database you want to connect to, for example, em620dev. If you use the same database name for both databases, for example, em620, there is no reason to modify this item.
2h: Save the file.

For example, consider the following:
1. There are two environments: DEV and PROD.
2. The Database Server name (instance names) for each are EMDEV and EMPROD.
3. I followed the instructions above and have two mcs.ini files now, one called DEVmcs.ini and one called PRODmcs.ini.
4. My PC always connects to the Production environment so I know the PRODmcs.ini is ok and doesn't need to be changed.
5. I opened the DEVmcs.ini file and changed the COMM line from: "COMM,msq60-m.dll,EMPROD,emuser,96b604b0386270bd976cd91c91536103ff050d0c2703a68a,em620,,;" to "COMM,msq60-m.dll,EMDEV,emuser,96b604b0386270bd976cd91c91536103ff050d0c2703a68a,em620,,;"
6. I didn't change any other values because only the data source name is different between my environments.
7. I saved the file.

Step 3: Modifying the Encrypted Password.
Using the cryptocli utility, you'll need to update the encrypted password in the DEVmcs.ini.
3a: Open a command prompt on your PC.
3b: At the command prompt, type cryptocli <username> <password> <path>.

Continuing with our example above:
1. The user I use for both DEV and PROD are the same (emuser), but the passwords are different. For Development, the emuser's password is DEVPASS. For Production, the emuser's password is PRODPASS.
2. Since I always connect to the Production environment, the encrypted password in the mcs.ini, DEVmcs.ini and PRODmcs.ini already equates to PRODPASS because I just copied the file two additional times.
3. To modify the DEVmcs.ini password from PRODPASS to DEVPASS, I enter the command: cryptocli emuser PRODPASS c:\program files\bmc software\control-m em 6.2.01\ini\DEVmcs.ini and press enter
4. Now the DEVmcs.ini has the correct encrypted password.

Phase II: Using Different Environments

Step 1: Switching from one environment to the other.

1a: Go to the <EMHOME>/ini directory.
1b: Delete the file mcs.ini.
1c: Copy, do not move, DEVmcs.ini to mcs.ini.
1d: Now when you connect, you are connecting to the DEVELOPMENT environment. (See Phase II, Step 2 below)
1e: When done, delete the mcs.ini.
1f: Copy, do not move, PRODmcs.ini to mcs.ini.
1g: Now when you connect, you are connecting to the PRODUCTION environment. (See Phase II, Step 2 below)
1h: You'll need to perform steps 1a - 1h each time you want to connect to a different environment.

Step 2: Select the appropriate GUI Server and Login

2a. Select the appropriate GUI Server at the Reporting Facility login screen that is connected to the Enterprise Manager database where you want to create reports.
2b. If this GUI Server connects to a different Naming Service, you must first click the Advanced button and change the Naming Service host name and port. For example, if PRODuction uses naming server PROD and port 13075, make sure the fields in the Advanced Button shows this. If DEVelopment uses naming server DEV and port 23057, you'll need to modify the fields in the Advanced Button to point to the correct EM Server.
2c. Then you will see the other GUI Servers in the list of servers displayed for that Naming Service.
2d. Login with your regular user id (or a userid that has the appropriate permissions to create reports).

WECS006912 has been opened to make this process easier. This issue will be implemented in a future release. To be notified when new versions and severity one technical issues are found and corrected, subscribe to Proactive Alert Subscriptions by clicking this link: http://www.bmc.com/support/proactive_registration.cfm.

For Control-M/Enterprise Manager version 6.1.03 and lower:
===============================================
Step 1:
Log onto the client as the Enterprise Manager user.

Step 2:
Edit this file: <Control>/Reporting Facility/ecsrf.ini

Step 3:
Change the following parameters appropriately:

HostString and ServerName to your other EM machine

This assumes your emuser and password are the same on both machines.

Save this file.

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 16 Oct 2007 5:32

very interesting but to do what with reporting facility ?
does any one have to do some production report ?

mulvida
Nouveau
Nouveau

Thanks, I needed that

Post by mulvida » 18 Oct 2007 6:29

I will give this a try and see what I get.

mauriziog
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by mauriziog » 23 Oct 2007 4:20

philmalmaison wrote:very interesting but to do what with reporting facility ?
does any one have to do some production report ?
I build many reports with reporting facility, via batch in PDf format; very usefull !

moha1984
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by moha1984 » 19 Oct 2010 9:43

I have the same error bout on Reporting Facility 6.4.01

you can help me please :cry:

Smithlife
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Smithlife » 15 May 2013 9:45

Dies ist, was ich interessiert bin in.Welcome mir contace.