It is currently 20 Aug 2017 7:43

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012 4:22 
Nouveau
Nouveau

Hi,

I am preparing to migrate from control-m 6.4 to 7.0. I have the new server configured (Red Hat Linux) and have installed the software. This is the first time I will be using the postgreSQL databases. What is the best practice for backing up these databases? Should I set up scripts and do this outside control-m? Should archive mode also be set outside control-m? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject: BACKUPS FOR POSTGRESQL
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012 7:02 
Nouveau
Nouveau

It is best to use the Control-M/Server backup utility ctmdbbck to backup the postgresql databases. There are two modes of backup. A hot backup provides restore to the point of failure (not to the time of backup - basically a restore will restore the point of time of the last hot backup then apply archive logs to get to the point of failure). A cold backup provides restore to a point in time, however you cannot do a cold backup of the PostgreSQL database unless the database is down and you don't want to have to do this on your Production Control-M/Server regularly.
Look up the Utility guide for more information on ctmdbbck.

To run hot backups, you need to set the archive mode. Look up the Control- Administrator guide for more information on archive mode.

I would run a hot backup daily (there is no point in running it any more regularly other than to make restores super-quick) and would also ftp the backup files to a separate location after each backup.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015 6:43 
Nouveau
Nouveau

Hi,

i am planning to do a hotbackup for my control-M servre db(PostgreSQL)
But unable to find where to change "Changes the archive mode of the PostgreSQL database server" to ON.

Can you please help me out here.

Thanks .

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015 10:19 
Nouveau
Nouveau

Hi

Here is an example

DBUArchive -ARCHIVE_MODE ON -ARCHIVE_DIRECTORY ${FILTEMPCTM}/Backups/Archives -SILENT Y

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 5:21 
Nouveau
Nouveau

Thanks for your comment.

It worked out and working fine.